Monday, September 15, 2008

Let's Keep this Discourse Civil

Civility, not Civil War

I was wandering through blogland today to peruse some of what is being said out there, and watching some youtube videos of the various candidates.
I hate how bitter and vicious this discourse among Americans has become. I admit, I too have felt heatedly about these subjects, and I haven't always expressed my opinions in the most moderate way. You know what? I regret that. I think we should be able to disagree without wishing our opponents harm and calumny.

And so, in the name of civilized discourse, let me say the following.
Both candidates are talented men. Barack Obama is a wonderful, inspirational speaker, and I really believe he has a great deal to contribute to the world,and to America. But I don't think the job of President of the United States is the way for him to express his talents. It's a job that requires one to be steadfast. There isn't room for enormous creativity, given the wolves and jackals at America's door. As we in Israel have learned the hard way, "creative" ways of dealing with your enemies (siging peace agreements, and giving them guns) can unleash hell on earth. Remember Shimon Pere's "New Middle East"? It ushered in years of our children's blood staining our streets, and even now, years later, the first responders- policemen and medics- are still waking up at night with traumas from their experiences.

America has had its warning call in 9\11. It has managed with steadfast and boring consistency to prevent other attacks. While Barack Obama's heart might be in the right place, he is inexperienced. International politics, and the position of leader of the free world, is not for the faint-hearted creative souls of this world. It's for experienced politicians and warriors who know what it means to sacrifice all to keep your people safe.

Yes, I would have preferred a younger candidate than McCain. He is not a charismatic speaker, often mumbles and doesn't hold a candle to Obama's golden voice or his powers of persuasion. Nevertheless, given the circumstances, McCain is still the best candidate for the office of president. He won't bring huge, creative surprises. Neither will he let us down. I also believe he wants the best for his country, and really feels this is his way of serving what he loves. I'm not so sure about Obama. He spent the first term in the Illinois Senate plotting his way into the U.S. Senate. He spent his years in the U.S. Senate plotting his way to the Presidency. In the meantime, he has had many ideas, but few accomplishments, which is why his campaign is often so negative.

Sarah Palin is not a sophisticate. She didn't know what the Bush Doctrine meant. But you know what? If someone asked me, I wouldn't have known either unless you explained the term. She is pro-life, which is a good thing. But I don't think we should allow women who want abortions to be sent to back-room butchers like in the bad old days. Fortunately, she as V.P. won't be in a position to change the current laws, nor will she be able to prevent schools from preaching Darwinism. By the way, I happen to think G-d did create the world, not the big bang (they tried the big bang theory this week in a Swiss lab. Guess what? Big thud.) Senator Biden is a decent man, with a great deal of experience in foreign relations. But I think Ms. Palin is a fast learner who will be up to speed in no time. The important thing is that she cares about her country enough to have sent her son to defend it. She has succeeded in everything she's done. I believe she will make a wonderful V.P. Someone we will all be proud of. Considering the men who have held this post in the past (Dan Quayle and Richard Nixon's bribe -taking V.P. Spiro Agnew)she is a marvelous choice, who will do us all proud.

Here, you see? A whole column with no name -calling, just a reasonable expression of opinions. I just wish we could all keep our opinions civil, and stick to the real issues. I, for my part, will try.

1 comment:

Otajaho said...

As a note Naomi - I could agree more with the general tone of your piece and have been writing about just this for years.

But some additions, and a correction. Agnew was Nixon's VP not Johnson's.

Is Joe Biden a decent man? I'm not sure. To me plagiarizing your speeches, your off the cuff comments, and your law school exams is an issue that I have a great deal of trouble accepting as someone who has railed against just this sort of trend in modern history (see Stephen Ambrose, author of Band of Brothers, and other plagiarized works).

But one thing is for sure about Joe Biden. He is a strict Roman Catholic, and every bit as anti abortion as Sarah Palin. Funny the Dems just don't want you to know this.